Saturday, August 29, 2009

August 29, 2009 - Day 19


Da Vinci watercolor on 140 lb Bockingford cold press watercolor paper


OK, I admit it - I was completely blocked today. I did not want to paint ANYTHING. I discarded every idea I had as being too difficult or too time consuming. So I wimped out and did one of my "Rainbow Reflection" paintings.

I was taught the technique by Alan Mark Cross. He does very vibrant watercolors using a wet-in-wet technique. Here is the link to his website:

http://members.shaw.ca/alan.cross/

For this technique saturated color is randomly placed on damp watercolor paper and while it is still wet areas are scraped off (sgraffito) using a palette knife. The scraped areas naturally form the highlight and the areas where the paint puddles form the shadow. Everything else is mid-tone.



That's all there is to it. Completing a painting like this one only takes 15 minutes because the paint and paper dry so quickly. There is no correcting or second guessing. There isn't time for it.




No comments:

Post a Comment