Sunday, August 30, 2009

August 30, 2009 - Day 20

Da Vinci watercolor in Burnt Sienna (#205) on
140 lb Bockingford cold press watercolor paper

I was so afraid to start anything today. All the fears and doubts came out to play. I could have given in and just painted something that had no meaning. I could have done another "Rainbow Reflection" or done some cop out of a painting but I want to paint things that have meaning to me. I want to take pride in my paintings. I can't do that if I give up on myself and my creativity.

I decided to just pick something - ANYTHING - and paint it. I wanted to stay with the monochromatic in burnt sienna because I like the feel of the paintings. They also help train my eyes to see the different values.


Definition: Value: relative lightness or darkness of a color. Relation of one part in a picture to another with respect to lightness and darkness.

Values are everything in a painting. If the values are off the painting is off. If the values are right you can paint in any color you like and the painting will have visual impact.

I am finding that picking a subject and then actually starting the painting is really hard some days. I think that I will have to find an on-line subject generator at one of the art sites and just randomly pick something and then go with that. The other option would be to pick a subject and then complete a series of paintings on that subject. For example: create 5 paintings of boats.

I don't know what I am going to do but I would like to come up with a solution that will help me overcome this particular block whenever it occurs. That way I wouldn't waste so much time trying to decide what to paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment