I wasn't sure if this one was going to turn out today. The grass/trees in the far background weren't coming together for me but I just kept adding dabs of color until it looked right. Overall I like the look of this painting.
Friday, June 4, 2010
When I was growing up my aunt had a little yellow canary that used to sing all the time. I wanted to paint a canary for her but it didn't turn out at all. I guess ink and wash wasn't the right medium to try to capture the delicate nature of that little canary.
Thursday, June 3, 2010
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
I don't have much to say about my penguin except that the background was a happy accident. When I put in the first couple of brush strokes I accidentally left quite a bit of white between them. I was going to change it but then I realized that it looked like floating ice so I continued on in the same manner for the rest of the background.
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Today's painting turned out fairly well even though I really didn't know how to paint the leaves. I ended up bringing the sky color down over top the leaves and once that was dry painting yellow over the blue. I added a couple of dabs of darker blue and a bit of brown and called it done.
Monday, May 31, 2010
I am not happy with this one at all. The bird, post and wire are all accurate but the painting as a whole is totally uninspiring and flat. I think the main problem is the background color. Originally it was a light raw sienna (yellowish brown) but that didn't look right so I tried making it darker but that didn't work either. I think with the right color background this painting would really "pop" but I don't know what that background should be.
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Well with only 8 days left using the ink and wash technique I realized that the easiest way to complete this medium was to start another series of paintings. I haven't done very many bird paintings throughout the course of this project so I thought it might be a nice way to end this section of paintings.