Thursday, August 27, 2009

August 27, 2009 - Day 17

Da Vinci watercolor and Prismacolor colored pencils on
140 lb Bockingford cold press watercolor paper


Very hard to decide today what I wanted to paint. I knew that I wanted to stay with a landscape but really didn't have any ideas. I went back through my old reference photos and found this one.

It is so much more difficult to paint something well when there is little emotional attachment to the outcome. When I am interested in painting something it flows from me and I think that emotion shows in the painting. Today's painting though was just a technical exercise.

In a way though, I think days like today will improve my skills more because when there is no emotion involved in the process I tend to over think and subsequently overwork the painting.

Either way it will be interesting to see how my art progresses through this whole process and where I will end up as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment