Friday, August 28, 2009

August 28, 2009 - Day 18

Da Vinci watercolor in Burnt Sienna (#205) on
140 lb Bockingford cold press watercolor paper


Flipping through my watercolor instructions books and I picked up "The One-Hour Watercolorist" by Patrick Seslar. This is a fabulous book that not only shows you how to create a painting from reference photographs but also time saving techniques like using a limited palette for example.

This sparked my imagination and I decided to re-do yesterday's painting using only one color. I chose Burnt Sienna because it gives the painting an antique look. Using this color turned out to be more difficult than I thought it would be because it is a staining watercolor and does not lift off easily or cleanly. In my first attempt I painted the sky way too dark but when I tried to remove some of the color I wasn't able to get much off and what remained had a grainy look to it.

I was able to complete the painting on my second attempt. I liked the look of it so much that it has inspired me to create a painting for the eBay group ACEO ~ Art Cards Editions and Originals for the September theme week which is "Harvest Festival". I am going to paint a picture that I received from my aunt that was taken in the 1940's or 1950's of a swather mowing wheat. It should look really nice in the burnt sienna.


The ACEO theme week it is a monthly popularity contest where a theme is chosen. The artwork must be 2 1/2 inches by 3 1/2 inches and it must be listed to sell on ebay on the 1st of the month. The art cards are listed for 7 days at a starting price of $4.99. The person with the most unique bidders wins a .jpeg award. There is also "People's Choice" where the members of the group vote on their favorite ACEO. It's fun and it is a good way to spark your creativity.

I will post the link to my ebay listing on September 1, 2009 if the painting turns out to my satisfaction :)

No comments:

Post a Comment