Tuesday, August 18, 2009

August 18, 2009 - Day 8

Da Vinci watercolor on
140 lb Bockingford cold press watercolor paper

After yesterday's painting turned out to be lighter in value than I would have liked I decided that for today's card I would use Corel Paint Shop Pro Ultimate Photo X2 (yes this is a shameless plug for an image editing program that is just awesome!) to "pick" the colors and then "paint" them on a plain white background so that I could see how dark the colors really were.

The highlights are the white of the paper but the next lightest color was much darker than I thought it would be. It was a lot easier painting today's ACEO because I was using colors that were more accurate. Yesterday's painting involved a lot of going over different areas of the painting to darken them up but today I only went over the shadow areas of the grapes a couple of times and this was to add a bit more depth of color rather than to change the value.

I think I am going to use Corel Photo more often to determine what the colors in my reference image are rather than just trying to estimate them. It really does save a lot of time and guess work.

No comments:

Post a Comment