Sunday, August 16, 2009

August 16, 2009 - Day 6


Da Vinci watercolor and Prismacolor colored pencils on
140 lb Bockingford cold press watercolor paper


I finally had to admit defeat on this ACEO. I tried everything that I could think of but I still could not achieve the depth, dimension and realism that I wanted for the apples.

Part of the problem was that in my reference the apples were a red and yellow apple (Gala) and not a solid red apple. I really had no idea on how to paint that type of apple or what color I should make the highlights. I guess because I did not have a clear vision on what I felt the apples should look like I wasn't able to make the apples look like anything.

Earlier today I was thinking about my success with the Carousel Horse and I thought "I really love painting ACEOs" almost immediately came the thought "but I want to paint larger paintings as well". That was followed by "larger paintings would sell better" and "I can't make a living making mini paintings". Suddenly all the stress and tension was back and I wasn't enjoying the whole creative process anymore.

I guess when you look at it that way it is no surprise that I lacked any enthusiasm for painting tonight. Oh well, tomorrow is another day and another painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment