Tuesday, October 6, 2009

October 6, 2009 - Day 57

Da Vinci Watercolor on 140 lb Saunders Waterford cold press paper


First painting with the Saunders Waterford watercolor paper. The Saunders Waterford is shown underneath the Aquarelle paper in the picture below. As you can see the Aquarelle is quite a bit whiter than the Saunders Waterford.

My initial impression is that I don't like this paper. I have always used a bright white paper so I don't like the color. The Saunders Waterford also absorbs the paint differently but I can't really say in what way. It just doesn't seem to flow as well. Finally there also seems to be more "tooth" or grain than the papers that I am used to using.


That being said, I don't think the type of paper really would have affected the quality of my painting today. When I was little I used to draw horses all the time but this is the first horse that I have painted in Da Vinci watercolor. I think that there must be an easier way than what I did today. I painted it with probably 10 layers of thin paint mostly in blue/black but there were some layers of dark brown.


I know there is a way to paint it wet-in-wet with no more than 3 layers but right now I really don't know how to do that.


Back to the library for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment