Monday, April 26, 2010

April 26, 2010 - Day 259


Ink & watercolor on 250gsm Stonehenge 100% Cotton Vellum Finish Paper

Moving on to something new. I thought today I would start a series of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. The first horseman is "Pestilence" or disease and rides a white horse. I painted it with ink first and then added a wash of dark blue watercolor to the back ground and a touch on the shadow areas of the horse.

I had a lot of problems with this one today. I couldn't figure out how to paint the horseman's cloak and over all the painting lacks sharpness. This is a recurring problem that I have with my work. I am working on another larger painting today and I am having the same problem with it.

I wonder if the fuzziness is occurring because I don't go dark enough in the first layer and then I end up over-working the painting to try and darken it or if it is that there just isn't enough contrast between the highlights and the shadows.

It is very frustrating to have a vision in my head of what I want to achieve but not being able to achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment