Thursday, January 14, 2010

January 14, 2010 - Day 157


Acrylic on 250lb Bockingford watercolor paper

Another fail in the star portrait file. I was trying to paint Lt Uhura from Star Trek but ended up with the painting at the top of the page. There were times where I was tantalizingly close to success only to have it slip away. This time I was trying to paint completely freehand like the "real" portrait painters do rather than tracing the facial features from a photograph. Finally I just said "screw it" and painted red, yellow and black over top the whole thing.

I would like to succeed at painting star portraits because I have a plan to complete series of paintings of the cast of my favorite TV shows. I would love to paint a series of the actors from Heroes. I think if I were to paint the characters (such as Claire the cheerleader) that it would be copyright infringement. However, if I were to paint Hayden Pantierre who plays Claire there wouldn't be any legal issues to worry about.

I don't know if I can succeed at this though. I just don't know what I need to do to create an accurate likeness of someone. I am hoping that it is just a matter of practice and that it is something that I can eventually learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment