Sunday, September 27, 2009

September 27, 2009 - Day 48

Da Vinci watercolor on 140 lb Aquarelle cold press watercolor paper

This painting started out OK but didn't finish where I would have liked it to be. I like the rosebud in the front which was done with one wet-in-wet application. I became overly fussy with the large rose and overworked it. I tried doing each petal separately but it might have been better to give the whole rose a wash of the light peachy color and then drop in the dark pink shadows while still wet.

I was unsure what to do with the background again. I originally had it a khaki color but didn't like it so I added washes of pale Ultramarine Blue at the top of the painting which I then dabbed with a wet natural sponge. For the foreground I used a stronger Ultramarine wash and dropped in some Burnt Sienna.

I would like to come up with a background technique that I could use with a variety of subjects. I really love paintings that have loose and flowing backgrounds with all the detail on the subject. So far I am hit and miss with my backgrounds. One more thing to work on during the next 317 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment