Friday, April 16, 2010

April 16, 2010 - Day 249

Ink on 250gsm Stonehenge 100% Cotton Vellum Finish Paper

I could have done more on this painting but I am just not into art tonight. I am sniffling and feverish. I just don't feel well today. Whine! Whine! Whine!

I am starting to see why some people prefer paintings and artwork that is NOT photo-realistic or completely representational. While I like the challenge of creating a realistic painting I find myself wondering if someone would look at it and say that there really is no difference in appearance between this and a black and white photograph.

After looking at portraits from other artists I prefer the portraits that have a more "painterly" approach over the ones that are completely photo-realistic. They seem to have more energy and life to them. Over the course of this project I have tried to loosen up my style some but I just don't understand how I would create that way. I am a very literal person and my mind just doesn't visualize in abstract or non-representational ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment