Sunday, January 17, 2010

January 17, 2010 - Day 160

Acrylic on 250lb Bockingford watercolor paper


Well, I think I have challenged myself enough for awhile. While it was a great experience to spend the last 17 days attempting to paint star portraits it was also becoming very depressing.


I took a look back over all my blog paintings and I noticed that I have not done any still life paintings with acrylics (outside of the Christmas themed ones). I also realized that my favorite paintings had high contrast with very dark shadows and very light highlights. This really isn't a surprise because I love the Baroque painting style called chiaroscuro used by artists like Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio and Giovanni Baglione.

Giovanni Baglione


Wikipedia: Chiaroscuro (kiːɑːrˈə.skʊrˈoʊ, –skjʊrˈoʊ, Italian for light-dark) in art is contrast between light and dark, usually bold contrasts affecting a whole composition.


Tonight I decided to start a new series of paintings in the chiaroscuro style. I haven't decided yet if the series will be all fruits and vegetables or if I will use a variety of subjects but the same painting style. I guess we will see tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment