Sunday, December 6, 2009

December 6, 2009 - Day 118

Acrylic on 200lb Multimedia Aquarelle watercolor paper

Another frustrating day painting today. I just couldn't "see" the angles and planes of the face. I think I re-painted this 4 or 5 times but still couldn't achieve the correct form.

I have never been one to sketch or draw but I think that I might have to start making thumbnail sketches. These are quick small sketches with very little detail that can be done in color or black and white. The purpose of thumbnail sketches is to experiment with different aspects of the painting before committing anything to canvas.

I don't use thumbnail sketches mainly because I am the impatient type and I don't want to "waste" my time on a preliminary sketch/color sketch when I could be spending that time painting the "real" painting. Although, the theory is, if I did thumbnail sketches it would take less time and energy to paint the "real" painting because I would have already figured out the problem areas.

I would like to say that I am going to use thumbnail sketches in the future but in reality I have a lot of resistance to it and probably will continue on without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment