Sunday, October 18, 2009

October 18, 2009 - Day 69

Da Vinci watercolor on Saunders Waterford cold press paper


OK - here we go. I have decided that I am going to attempt a series of abstract paintings.

Let me be blunt - I am not an abstract kind of artist. I have always believed that abstracts were for artists who didn't have any real talent or technical skill. Anybody can paint a red stripe on a black canvas and spin it anyway they want to say how it represents all these great and wonderful things. I don't buy it - literally.

So why am I painting abstracts now? I want a break from the detailed work I have been doing. I want to paint something that is bright and colorful. I don't want to spend a lot of time planning my paintings. Finally, I want to see if painting abstracts will loosen up my style and allow me to paint more freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment